Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Owners Mark Stamp

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download


In a previous post, I shared some thoughts and observations on plane owners marks and I ended up wondering how to make my own metal owners mark stamp. Well, its been over a year, I still dont know how to go about it, but I have finally gotten my hands on an original to aid in my quest.

It was made for one "C. B. STILWELL" by "JACOBS & CO 74 WASHN.ST BOSTON".

Heres a photo of the stamp and the mark it makes:


I am hoping that by closely examining the stamp, I can figure out how it was made. It seems clear to me that files were used - very tiny files, for the exterior of each letter. But I havent yet sussed out how the interior sections were shaped.

Heres a closer shot of the business end:


I know I could pay someone to make one for me, but that just isnt my style. I might get there one day if I cant figure this out...



TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment