Monday, March 3, 2014

Mammoth Kauri wood What to do with it

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Some of you may know Bob, AKA TopamaxSurvivor at Lumberjocks. Well, he recently won a drawing at Charles Neils web site and asked Woodcraft to just send the gift to me. Did any of that make sense?

At any rate, I received Bobs prize yesterday. Get this: its a chunk of Mammoth Kauri wood. Never heard of Mammoth Kauri? Well, read all about it here.


So heres the deal. Its ancient wood from New Zealand whose trees were knocked down by a tsunami and left buried in peat bogs, thereby preserving them through the millennia. The piece I have is carbon dated at between 30,000 and 50,000 years old. Here they are retrieving these ice-age trees:


So I was thinking about drilling a hole in it, painting it neon pink and using it as a candle holder.

HA! But seriously, do any of you have any suggestions? Im afraid to get it anywhere near a saw blade until I have a solid plan in mind. Its 2" thick x 6" square. (Half a board-foot?) What would YOU do with a small, but special piece of lumber? Any ideas? I want to do it justice. Ive been tossing around an idea for a small accent lamp. Mainly I just want to show off the wood as much as possible.

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment